Sunday, January 1, 2017

Stop Action Switch

After a year and a half hiatus from this blog, I return. Even amidst my studies as a seminarian for the Archdiocese of New Orleans at Notre Dame Seminary, there are times when I would like to start another "Opus," sort of speak. However, this unique hobby of mine requires both time and money both of which are sparse right now. Be that as it may, when the opportunity arises to design and make something with my hands, I run with it!

This has happened two times. First was a simple bookcase for my room which would rest on top of my dresser. I do not have a picture at this moment as I am in Florida and not at the seminary. It is nothing special, though I did surprise myself when I placed the level on the finished shelf and it was just that - level!

The second time is the topic of this blog entry. It began on my birthday this year - November 19th. My best friend and mentor gifted me an old organ stop. Again, I do not have a photo of it as I'm currently not at the seminary. More to the point, I placed this stop - which had much of its shank attached to the stop itself - on my desk. As I began finalizing my papers, my eyes would be distracted by this stop and my mind would then get distracted. What can I do with this stop? A thought popped into my head - let's design a lamp where this stop turns it on/off.

This idea then developed into creating mechanical actions from the stop to the light to turn it on/off. This would be attached to the side of a freestanding bookcase. Though one solid unit, most of the bottom half has no shelves, thus allowing my chair to go up against it. Above my chair would be the first shelf. Below that shelf would be a light - the same light this stop would turn on/off.

Bookcase with prototype action attached

Upon my arrival back to my parent's house in Florida, and doing some brainstorming with my dad, I decided to make a prototype to see if I can even make this work. Looking at what left over pine I had from previous models, I went back to the drawing board and came up with this prototype.

Isometric View

"OFF" Position (Stop Canceled)

"ON" Position (Stop Engaged)

Being me, I went to work. The idea is simple, the inspiring stop would be attached to a horizontal tracker. The movement would transition from horizontal to vertical movement with the assistance of a pivoting "L" square. That vertical tracker would be attached to a connector piece. This piece is pinned to another connector piece which is secured onto a traditional on/off light switch. Pulling out the stop would turn on the light. Pushing (or canceling) the stop would turn the light off. As my mind began racing, so I became obsessed with completing this project. Slowly is came together.






IMG_3647
CLICK ON THIS PHOTO
to Watch the Mechanical Action

Once I got all the mechanical parts working, it was time to paint. Only the backings (or shell) of the prototype will be painted black so as to better show off the mechanics of the project. Hooking up the electricity was rather simple. However, I cannot take credit for that as it goes to my dad. Electrical wiring is not my strong point. We took an extension cord, split one side of it and hooked it up to the switch. BAM! Plug in the extension cord, plug something into it, and you got the finished product.


"OFF" Position (Stop Canceled)

"ON" Position (Stop Engaged)

Back Detail of Wiring
All that I need to do now is actually replace the "Stop" on this prototype with the ACTUAL Stop which inspired this little project. This will have to be done when I'm back in New Orleans as I didn't bring it with me to Florida. All things considered, I'm happy with the result. Every part was made by me - including the wooden dowels - utilizing a table saw, scroll saw, and drill press.

IMG_3660
CLICK ON THIS PHOTO
to Watch the Light Turn On/Off

Once the prototype is 100% finished and is placed in its apppropriate spot in my room back at the seminary, i will make another post.Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment