Monday, May 27, 2013

Back at it!

Opus 2 is here and what an amazing start I've gotten this weekend! To recap on the design, it is a fictional rock organ that will be made for my dad. It has it's inspiration from the Hammond organ models, i.e., the Hammond B3 and the like. However, instead of Leslie speakers, there are two boxes of pipes.



On this Memorial day weekend, I had three days to work on it. It all started on Saturday morning where I cut all my stock, excluding the 1/8in think stock. This is due to using a larger table saw which made it much easier to cut all the stock. The blade on it, however, is way to big for such thin wood. I left that for the Dremel table saw that I used for Opus 1.

Before I get into the construction, let me make a brief tangent to the stops. As you see above (sort of), the model will have 6 organ stops, which will be identical to the ones I used for Opus 1. Here is a video of me making a stop. Not the best quality, but you might get a better idea of how I made those suckers.



Now, on to the boxes. With the stock cut, they were very easy to put together. At the same time, I took the pipes (which had already been turned) and carved the mouth into each of them. Unlike Opus 1, these pipes vary in length and the mouth are all on the same level.







I then went ahead and attempted the sides. This required the use of the jig saw. I'm happy with the result, despite a shaky hand...





With that, I was on a role. So I continued onto the bench. It's a simple design. The only new challenge with this bench is the rounded edges all around the perimeter of the seat. I did this with the rotating sanding jig (technical term), which is part of the Dremel jig saw.



With that, the weekend came to a close. LOTS of progress with just three days of work. There's an old saying that I always heard growing up, "If you don't get better at doing something over and over again, then something is seriously wrong!" Thankfully, I don't think anything is wrong with me (in regards to the model, that is...) thanks to the past year's work with Opus 1. I've learned SO MUCH designing and making a model such as that, that any other model of this genre should be slightly easier.





Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment