Sunday, December 9, 2012

An International Affair

This model really kicked my but this weekend, but more on that in a second. The good thing is that all my shipments arrived by Friday. I realized something - this model has an international component to it. Yes, it is designed similar to an 18th century German Baroque pipe organ. However, the various tools and aesthetics of this model comes from "distant lands" as well.

The most obvious are the four angels from Italy. I didn't get a good picture of all four, so you may want to refer to the photo in my previous post which came from the maker in Italy. Still, the pictures do not serve them justice. I'm very happy with them. The next step would be creating a fixture to mount them to their specific locations. That will be a challenge for another time.

One of four. You can get a little better idea of the size thanks to my hand.

Another aesthetic to this model comes from Nova Scotia. I wanted to find a book of music to place on the music rest. I found a beautiful 1:12 scale book of Gregorian Chant that was made by an artist in Nova Scotia.

To get an idea of size...

Final resting place. A great touch and an awesome find!

So that's Italy, Canada, and all the components that I had to buy for my Dremel table saw (i.e., saw blades, belt, and lubricant) has come from a company in Hawaii. This is not to mention that this little blog of mine has been viewed by people all across the world. According to Blogger, the top 3 countries that have stumbled across my blog are the US of A (666 views), Russia (49 views) and Germany (18 views). Thanks again to everyone who takes the time and looks at my progress. I surprise myself every time take a step back and look what I have made.


Some other progress this weekend includes the pipe work for the Huptwerk. The two "pointed" sections were somewhat painless. However, the center section gave me hell today. Without getting into a lot of detail, which isn't like me, I fixed a few problems and pleased with how it came out.

Section 3 of the Hauptwerk Division

The other components to this section were also created and have been glued.



Last but not least, the dreaded molding. I decided to piece some the top molding for the Oberwerk together first before gluing it to the model. The first half came great. However, I ran into a problem when i started gluing the other half. You should be able to tell in the photo below. It's fixable and you will not be able to tell once it is all glued in place and painted. The small molding which will connect the Oberwerk and console area as also been cut. All that needs to be done is the mid section.


Another week now begins and I leave you with the current song that is playing from my iTunes, Chopin's Polonaise in A-flat major. (Yes, I actually have non-organ music)

No comments:

Post a Comment