Sunday, March 15, 2015

Grill Master

The next step is to create the two grills, four total, for the cabinet. I created a template that fits the size of the wood and traced the design on each piece. However, a 45º chamfer needed to be cut into one side of the piece so that the two may come together when assembled. The old Dremel table saw, which I used extensively with Opus' I thru III, created this edge. No surprise, the blade was not the sharpest and didn't come out 100% clean. It's going to have to do. The most time consuming part is the design. Two weeks ago, I traced the pattern and added started holes for the scroll saw blade to fit through. I borrowed the scroll saw from my dad and set up a little work station on my patio.



After I roughed the shape, I used a hand held Dremel rotary tool with various sized milling bits and barrel sanders. The combination worked very well. The outside shape was done the same day when prepped the piece with starter holes.

Two Grills with Pattern and Starter Holes

Slowly, the grill started coming together. If you remember from previous posts, I tried to incorporate the Fleur-de-lis in the design. Now, If I used a CNC machine to route these pieces out, it would have been more uniform. However, since they have been done my hand, there are certainly dievations. But, I guess that's what gives it character.

Almost Done
Two of Four Complete!

I hope to finish the other two grills next weekend. After this, I can continue staining a few more pieces and start assembling the cabinet!! Opus IV is nearing completion. I'm hoping the finish date will be by the end of April / beginning of May.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment