Sunday, April 5, 2015

Construction Begins!

Well the time has come to build the cabinets! I have been staining all the pieces, though a few need another coat or two. It is amazing when everything starts to come together. I think I'm going to let the following pictures do the talking...



The cabinet was constructed with screws and not glue. This will make it easy to take apart for transport...for the time being. The grills and molding will all be glued on. So, after than, there's no plan on taking the cabinet apart.





As much as you can really see the finish line at this point, what will really bring this entire project together is the molding. As stated in the past, crown molding will be at the top, thus covering that 2-plus inches at the top of the grill. I will have molding around the bottom as well. I can't really describe it, bit it has a lip on the molding, which will make it really easy to install. While buying all this molding, I started thinking about two more visible parts of the cabinet that might need a special touch - the left and right sides.

I'll admit...I forgot to tape those edges when staining the wood black. So, naturally, there is some black stain throughout the side. Not much, but enough where the mahogany stain will not cover it up. Plus, which I didn't really think of this at first, the wood screws can be clearly seen! We can't have that now, can we!

SO, while picking up the top and bottom molding, I found a small strip of molding - the same width as the pine boards - that can run down the length of the side, thus hiding my mistakes and the screws. To modify an old saying..."[Molding] can hide a multitude of sins!

Just with this post, the next should be another big step to the completion of Opus IV. I'm in the process of starting the individual pipe design projects. More on that in a later post.


Now that I have the cabinets back at my place, I can't help but think I found a spot for both of them. Still not opposed to setting it in the corner of my apartment. However, this arrangement might grow on me.

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment