Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gloria in Excelsis Deo!!

Ash Wednesday is this week!  This means that the season of Lent will be upon us whereby we anxiously wait for Christ's resurrection on Easter day. However, amidst the Lenten themes of prayer, almsgiving, and mortification (penance), the construction of Opus 1 will continue! Now, how does this relate to what I have done this weekend? Well, I intended that the angels be attached to the Oberwerk by today, thus the subject title. (Latin: Glory to God in the Highest) However, I figured since the Gloria is omitted during Lent, I'll use this title now and think of another clever subject title that's more Lenten specific when they are attached.

First, I finished section 1 of the Hauptwerk by touching up the molding, along with creating the top skin. I then glued all three sections together. After the three sections became one unit, I went ahead and glued the bottom pipe shades for section 1. Just like that, the Hauptwerk is now finished!








I had considered gluing the Oberwerk to the console area/base. However, I'm thinking for future transportation, the more sections to break it up into, the better. This is why I didn't glue the Hauptwerk to the Oberwerk, which was my original plan. So, another idea came to me to secure each section of Opus 1 together...a clasp! Yes, a clasp will be used to secure the Oberwerk to the console area as well as the Hauptwerk to the Oberwerk. I found one that should work. However, I'm going to do some brief internet searching before finalizing on this option.

Center section of Opus 1

Possible Clasp

As for the angels, it should be apparent that they are next. I went ahead and created small dowel fixtures, cut at 30º and 60º angles at each side, to support and position each angel. After this is completed, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but it's time to start Ruckpositiv...the LAST division of Opus 1!! At the same time, the final base needs to be built. Instead of attaching the Ruckpositiv to the base of the console, It will be attached to the shelf. The shelf will then become part of the model. I wanted to shy away from this idea. However, I think in the long run, it is a good idea.

With that said, the end is certainly in sight. Until next time...

"Oh my, yes..." - Prof. H. J. Farnsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment