Sunday, February 3, 2013

Touch Down! Goal!

Yes, It's Superbowl Sunday! I certainly scored a few touchdowns this weekend when it comes to Opus 1. When it comes to the actual sport in question, I don't care. Like I have always said, why do they call it "football" when you don't even use your feet? I side with those who like real football, or what we here in the US of A call soccer. But I digress...

The Hauptwerk (HW) is about 90% complete. I first glued the top pipe shades for the two section 1 modules. I also went ahead and cut, seal, prime and paint the bottom pipe shades for said section. They will get glued on once the entire HW is glued into place on top of the Oberwerk.



I then focused my attention to section 3 (center). The top and bottom grills needed to be glued in place. When it came for the molding, which all the parts were cut and ready to be glued, I noticed that the top grill was not completely tangent to the sharp corners where the molding is glued onto. Thankfully, everything worked out. As with all the molding, especially the larger kind, I needed to sand down some areas and add some wood filler.



Next came section 1. I went ahead and painted the small molding that will go at the top. I had to make the two small ends that made to section 2. (see picture above) They all fit together nicely. Although, I did need to use some wood filler on one of them.

After looking at the St. Bavo organ, some of the molding toward the top is very large. So, I decided to do a row of large molding on top of the small molding. This cuts were a little tricky as I needed to line them up with the corners of the current molding. I must admit, the are not completely proportional (respectively). However, the sides that matter - the outermost side - both came out the way I wanted it to.




Yes, pretty large, wouldn't you agree? Next weekend, I need to do a bit of sanding and re-painting for both of them. Afterward, I will make a skin for the top.



Stepping back and looking what I have accomplished in just a little under SIX MONTHS is quite impressive. I need to remind myself sometimes that this entire undertaking is a first for me. As I progress with the model, I think, "Oh, I should have done that like this!" or, "I should have used this material and not that material" or even, "Damn it's crooked! I'm Ray Charles when it comes to cutting wood!" 

Either way, I can honestly pat myself on the back and admire my work for something so original as this model. It is certainly playing a big role during this chapter of my life. It symbolizes many things, some that I cannot even articulate. That is, ultimately, the creative spirit in all of us. Such expressions of creativity keep the mind and imagination going. Any medium, i.e., music, painting, dance, exercise, cooking, gardening, creative writing, etc., assist us in our journey in life. The gifts that God has given each and every one of us help define our individuality. We must, in turn, use our gifts for good and direct them to the Good, God Himself, thus doing everything for the glory of His name. Every composition that J.S. Bach composed started with the initials J.J. for, "Jesu, Juva" (Jesus, help) and ended with S.D.G., or, "Soli Deo Gloria" (to God alone the glory).

Once again, I digress. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment