Sunday, January 27, 2013

Great Strides!

I can now saw that the Oberwerk is 100% FINISHED!!! Seeing that the Hauptwerk is also on the fast track to being completed, I would say that Opus 1 is around 75% complete!! I think the easiest thing to do is go in order of this weekends progress.

Like I said in the last post, there were two areas of the Oberwerk (OB) that i needed to finish in order to complete the OB. The first was the top molding. I finished painting some of the new molding parts I had to re-cut and then glued them all together. After it dried, as usual, I cut, painted and glued a skin on the top to make it whole.

Oberwerk at 99% Completion


Next was the bottom molding. All I had to do there was glue them on. So, piece by piece, I did just that. Thankfully, it came together rather nicely, especially the molding around the center section. For once, gluing molding didn't raise my blood pressure.




While all of this was drying, I designed the pipe shades for the Hauptwerk (HP) division. Not only that, I ended up cutting out both the top and bottom shades for section 3 as well as all four pipe shades for the tops of section 1. I decided to change the design for the pipe shades for section 3 (the center section). Remember, the grill is wrapped around the pipe guide. I decided to add "wings"to the end which would fit inside the pipe box and help keep the shape of the grill.

The "wings" are on the left and right side

The idea was a great success and I wish I thought about this earlier. Be that as it may, I then sealed, primed and painted them.

BEFORE

AFTER

The four pipe shades for the top of section 1 have all been sealed, primed and painted. However, I didn't glue them on yet. As of now, I will not be putting any grill work on section 2. As the HP continues to come together, I'll make my final decision then.


I've been meaning to give you, the viewer, a better idea of scale. So, I placed a quarter at the bottom left of the model, right next to the left pedal case. I hope these pictures give you a better idea of how large this model actually is.





Here are a few other pictures of the current status of Opus 1.






"The organ is [...] the most complex of all mechanical instruments developed before the
Industrial Revolution. Among musical instruments its history is the most involved and
wide-ranging, and its extent repertory the oldest and largest. No other instrument
has inspired such avowed respect as the organ." (Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 1889)


No comments:

Post a Comment