Monday, July 15, 2013

Opus C...What is Opus C?

I had to keep this one a secret, but I made another model at the same time as Opus 2. I've called it "Opus C." Why not "A" or "B"? I chose to label this one Opus C for two reasons. One, it's just a Console. Two, it is a birthday gift to a very close friend of mine whose name starts with the letter "C." Now, for the design.




It is modeled after a French terraced console design with oblique draw know stops. One thing about this design is that I knew I would be making much more use of the scroll saw.









Other than the terraced design are the oblique draw knobs. To make it stand out, I used a slightly larger dowel than the stops I've been making. I turned them in a very similar manner. Afterward, I took it to a belt sander and removed roughly 45º from the knob. The name of the stop would be written on this face in reality.







The last two challenges was the pedalboard and bench. For the pedalboard, I was not going to do a flat design, rather a radiating design. This is the standard on many organs built today. I sort of did it on the fly and not much 3D modeling. Still, I'm very happy how it came out.







The bench was fairly easy. With the use of a compass and a scroll saw, I managed to get four somewhat similar legs. The seat was the same as Opus 2 with the rounded edges.











You never know what's up my sleeve. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment