Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Roll Out the Red Carpet for Opus 3!

Sound the trumpets! Roll out the red carpet for the official revealing of my next model. I'm about 99.9% confident that this will be the final layout of the model. Here are some prospective 3D models and information about what Opus 3 is all about!





DESCRIPTION
The design of Opus 3 is that of a larger chapel organ. It has two manuals and pedal, 16 stops, 67 turned pipes and 16 square flute pipes. Here are some specific features that make this model unique.

SWELL DIVISION
The swell division is located in the center of the model. I was originally going to put working louvers as that's the whole point of a swell division. It is a division of the organ that allows for expression, that is, to adjust the volume of the pipes. It is loudest when the louvers are fully open and softest when the louvers are fully closed. However, I decided to put a decorative grill, which is done with smaller organs. To make it stand out, I put a Maltese cross in the center, as my family name is Maltese.



Originally, I was going to cut each piece out and glue them together. However, the more I thought about that, the harder it seamed. Then it hit me...CNC! This acronym stands for "Computer Numerical Control." There are a few CNC machines where I work and, after consulting with the operator, found that it would be possible to CNC the grill. This is done by taking the solid model (as seen in the above photo) and creating a programing language, or code, to be loaded into the machine. Various end mills then follow the code to carve out the design. I have already done a few tests and they are proving satisfactory. However, after such tests, I've decided to go for a harder wood instead of the basswood that I have been using. I recently bought some red oak, which is much harder and solid that basswood. I am on vacation this week and will try this wood out when I return on July 8th.



I've also designed the grills to be created via CNC. I need to discuss this with the CNC operator and see if my design is feasible.



Contained within the Swell division will also be some wooden flute pipes along with the typical metal pipes. They were made from 1/4" square stock. I put various lengths into the lathe and turned the bottom of the pipe, thus making the foot of the pipe. You can see both pipe designs in the above 3D model photo.

LIGHTING
I have not completely decided if I will add lighting this this model. I still need to meet with my dad and look at the design to see if it's feasible. I would try and install a light above the music rack and two within the swell box. It would be a dim light, not a bright light, just enough to illuminate those areas. They would be controlled by a switch in the back of the model. There is space inside the model for the wiring and its power supply, i.e., a battery.

So that's a general overview of Opus 3! Stay tuned for more information and progress on this model. My deadline will be no later than August 31st! How will I be able to meet that deadline? It's possible...you'll see...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment