Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Pedal Grill Work

I started with what probably is the hardest part of the model, the ornate grill work that will be used for the pedal division. I first needed a pattern. So, I took various vector images and put them together in Photoshop and came up with this:

Add caption


The flat line is the base. So, this view would be the top grill. Now, the hard part. How do you make something like this that can also be wrapped around a (approx) 4"  guard? I first tried it on 1/16" balsa wood. I  should have know that there would be issues. It was starting off good, but it cracked half way in would took off the top flourishes.

I stapled the pattern onto the balsa wood

I then remembered that Michaels sold a 1/64" thin birch plywood. So, off I went, bought a piece and tried it again with much success. However, after cutting out the design, my hand was killing me.


It still needs some cleaning up. However, I'm setting the grill work aside for now. I will eventually paint this shiny gold and then try wrap it around a 4" diameter guard which it will be attached to. I've heard of wetting it or playing the wood before steam to help bend the wood. Well, that will be another adventure and another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment