Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Step in the Right Direction

This past weekend was completely free and devoted to the project. Due to this, I have made some great progress! During this past week, I went ahead and painted the top molding. This was just to get it some sort of base coat as I will have to repaint it once they are glued onto the pedal boxes. On Friday, I glued them to their respective pedal boxes

Left and Right Top Moldings Respectively

Now, onto the fun stuff. I planned on continuing with the construction of the Oberwerk division. Looking at all the pieces, I decided to start by gluing the center box together that will hold the 10in pipes.

The side and it's center support
Completed resting on the base that it will be attached to

At the same time, I decided to make a sheet to cover the top of the molding. I was not going to do this as I already put on on when the box was put together. However, seeing the top of the molding and all the pieces, I thought it would be best.

Gluing the top skin to the left pedal case
A before and after with and without the top skin

I did a lot of multitasking. So, amidst all this, i glued the small pipes for the Oberwerk division. I originally was going to make a flat guide with holes in it to insert the pipes. However, since the pipes are so close together, the guide broke every time. So, I decided to glue them against a 1/16in thick piece of wood. I will probably glue a thicker piece of wood onto that, which would then get "wedged" in place and glued.

"Flat" pipes for the Obwerwerk division

Last but certainly not least, I continued piecing together the Oberwerk box.I'm up to the point where I need to glue the sides to it. Afterward, I can go ahead and make the individual chambers for the above pipes.

After I make the console area, the Oberwerk will be slightly higher than how it is positioned in this photograph.

Indeed, I would say that it was a VERY PRODUCTIVE weekend. I'm excited and pleased with how everything is coming out. During the week, I will paint the top molding and skin. Next weekend, I will begin cutting the bottom molding for the pedal division and hopefully paint and glue them in place. Not to mention continuing with the construction of the Oberwerk division.

Also, a small change in how I will construct the small chambers for the Oberwerk. Currently, I have 1/4 think wood that will support the horizontal "floor" for the small pipes. However, I thought it would be easier to cut thick dowel's and use that as support. I had some spare 1/2in diameter dowel's that I have cut to length. Once I finish the overall construction, I will get the final dimensions for each small chamber and glue them in place.

Thanks again for taking the time to check up on my status. 436 views from people all accros the globe! The joys of the internet! Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment