Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Can't Believe My Eye's

The Oberwerk is really moving forward and it is starting to bring Opus 1 together. With that said, it should be no surprise that I spent this weekend moving forward on the Oberwerk box. As I started piecing everything together, I did run into some issues that I had to work around.

Gluing the two pedal boxes to the main case

After I created the two pedal boxes for the "pointed" pipe set, I noticed that the triangle shapes were not lining up with the pipes. I decided to cut off those triangles and make separate ones that I will glue on later, making sure that everything lines up. You can notice this in the above picture. You may also notice that the dowel support proved to be a success rather than using wooden planks.

Completed Box

Of course I was multitasking while piecing this box together. I went ahead and made the pipe guides for the "pointed pipes" as well as for the "round" pipes. I was running into a similar problem that I faced when making the guide for the pedal pipes. This time, the holes are SO close together, the guide ended up breaking. So, I decided to keep the drilled holes to the lowest common diameter, which was 1/4in. For those pipe diameters bigger than that, I went ahead and sanded down the ends to fit such a hole. Once in place, I poured glue on the top and let it dry.

After all this was complete, I started sealing all the Oberwerk pipes with sanding sealer. They now have enough coats on them to start priming and painting the pipes. However, I do need to shave down some wood on the guide for the "flat" pipes so to fit in their respected area in the case.

Overall View

Close Up

The above pictures shows a very dry fit of the pipes. You can tell, even from the empty spaces, that I need to do some custom fitting for those flat pipes. The larger molding, like the pedal boxes, will be attached flush with the top box. That is why there is such a big gap from the top of the big case to the actual pipes. As for the two side wings, the large molding will rest on top. The smaller molding will be flush up against the bottom of the case, thus connecting the bottom keydesk section to the Oberwerk.

The only thing I neglected is the bottom molding for the two pedal cases. I don't know what it is with the molding that makes me a little hesitant. Maybe because each and every piece is custom fit that it takes a little more time and patience. Either way, its safe to say that I'll need to buy another pack of small molding and another long piece of the large molding to finish the overall project.



This week, I plan to start designing the grill work for the Oberwerk division. At the same time, I hope to fit those flat pipes into their respected area of the Oberwerk case. Like the subject says, I cannot believe my eyes. This project is really starting to take shape which leaves me very excited and optimistic about the rest of the project.

Since Halloween is approaching, I end this post with one of Bach's famous compositions that is typically played during this time. Yes, his Toccata and Fugue in d-minor. The toccata is more famous that the fugue as it is played more. Since the toccata is so overplayed, I don't care for it that much. For those who know me well, they would think that I just blasphemed by saying I don't care for one of Bach's pieces. It's nice, but I'd rather listen to others. The fugue, however, is beautiful and I would much rather listen to the fugue than the toccata.



The piece is played on the Great Organ in the Town Hall of Sydney, Australia. This is one of only two organs in the world with a full length 64ft pipe, the Contra Trombone. (Check it out!)This organ is certainly on my "bucket list" of organs to play before I die. To find out more about this beautiful instrument, visit my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment