Sunday, October 7, 2012

What an Accomplishment!

First, let me start by saying that last Friday was two months to the date that I made my first post. (In the Beginning) What do I have to show for the past two months...well, let's take a look at where I'm at!

After touching up the pedal towers, I was finally ready to start gluing the pipes in along with both grills. I went ahead and positioned the bottom guides in first so that the bottom tips of each pipe can press up against it, thus keeping the round shape. Then, added a few shims to the top to make sure those pipes were in good.

The end result by Saturday night
Sunday morning came and I got right to it! I finished the gluing process and was very happy how it turned out. 


While the glue was drying, I started cutting all the stock for the Oberwerk division. With the new table saw blade, it went very smooth.

Proof that I'm actually building this thing!

By the end of the day, I have completed 98% of all the raw stock. I need to get some 1in think wood as well as another large 1/4in piece of wood for the back support.

...and it all fits conveniently in a tote! (Most of it anyway...)

Before I closed up shop, I started to take a closer look at the molding. Eariler, I discovered a flaw with how I was cutting the angles. I will have to remake the bottom molding due to this. I'll dry fit the pieces with "sticky-tack" to see if I'm going in the right direction or need to remove some more wood. Once I'm comfortable with the cut border pieces, I will paint them just enough for them to start matching the rest of the case. Then, I will glue them on, fill in the cracks and do some sanding. Lastly, I will give the completed molding one more coat. I'll have to be extremely careful, as I don't want any red on the grill or pipes.


As I come to the close of the day and preparing myself to what will be a busy week at work, I want to take this moment to pray for my brother seminarians at St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary (Boynton Beach, FL) and St. John Vianney College Seminary (Miami, FL) as they enter or are about to enter midterm exams. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment