Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Very "Organ"ized Weekend

This weekend completely revolved around the pipe organ, and not necessarily around this project. On Saturday, I went up to Gainesville, FL to visit my Alma Mater - The University of Florida! The organ studio, which I was a part of throughout my four years at the university, presented a Pipe Organ Demonstration. These are better referred to as "POD's." This event, which happens once a semester, explains exactly what an organ is and how it works. The beautiful Andrew Anderson Memorial Pipe Organ, located in the University Auditorium, is used for such an event. It was during my time that these POD's were first started and it gives students at the University,  as well as anyone in the greater Gainesville area, a venue to learn more about the pipe organ. Afterward, there was a Master's recital by one of the students.Everything was a great success.

Andrew Anderson Memorial Pipe Organ - V/99 (5,396 pipes)
It was very refreshing to be back at the university, especially with the studio under the direction of Dr. Laura Ellis. I'm very fond of the Anderson organ mainly because it was the instrument I studied upon. The first performance on the instrument was in 1923 and built by the Skinner Organ Company. The instrument has an extensive history, which I researched during my time as a student. Information about the organ can be found on my website: The King of Instruments

Today was centered around the project and I certainly got some stuff done. First and foremost, all the top molding for both pedal divisions have been cut!!!!! It really is a pain, as each piece is custom fit. Even after gluing them onto the case, I will still need to use some putty to fill in some gaps. As it stands, I will give a base coat of the red on the molding then glue it on. Once it's in place and I fill in any gaps, I will finish painting the molding. This will be done next weekend...hopefully.


Since I finished turning down all the pipes for the Hauptwerk Division, I proceeded to put the mouths on all the pipes. The total count now, if my calculations are correct, Opus 1 contains 171 pipes!!

Pipes for the Center Section of the Hauptwerk Division

Last but not least, I went ahead and created the base for the Oberwerk. This is the next step in starting to put together the entire case. I first glued the three pieces together that create the base.


I then, for added strength, traced the shape onto the 1/64 Birch Pine sheet and glued it to the bottom. This will only add to the strength for these three pieces. Remember, this entire case will rest upon another support which contains the keydesk.


I would say that it was a successful weekend. Now, let's see what this week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment