Sunday, November 18, 2012

Back with a Vengeance!

After having a set back last week with my cold, I did a lot of catching up this weekend with some very good results. I focused on three areas: the overall keydesk assembly, gluing the pipes in the Oberwerk, and painting the bottom molding on the pedal boxes.

The next step for the manual assembly was to add the accidentals. I went ahead and painted a long 1/16in square stock and then cut a bunch of 1/4in pieces. Using a small amount of glue and tweezers, I went ahead and placed each one on their respective manuals.

1.5 Octaves - just enough to play the music of J.S. Bach!

Setting that sub-assembly aside, I went ahead and re-drilled the holes in the stop jam as the paint clogged most of them. Afterward, I was able to glue the jam to its respected side and add all the stops. 10 of the 24 stops are "activated" whereas the other 14 are "canceled." Both are evenly divided and symmetric between the two stop jams.

The "canceled" stops are show here glued in place

Following this, I was able to complete the assemble by gluing the stop jams to the manual assembly, along with the sheet music rest.

Seen without the music rest backing
 
Seen with the music rest backing along with the "granite" base plate that will hold this entire middle section

I also got around to cutting and painting the foundation of this middle section. This consists of a base, which was painted a "granite" color. There are then two sides, a back plate, and two front plates that will flank the key desk assembly. At this point, I'm ready to assemble these parts.



Second goal was to place all the pipes in the Oberwerk box. All but two of the "flat pipes" were able to be press fit in. This means there was no need for glue as I really had to press them into their respective box, which was a very tight fit.


The grill work would be the next step. The grill shapes / patterns, detailed in the last post, will go with the "flow" of the pipe mouth direction.

The last goal was painting the bottom molding on the pedal boxes. Though i didn't take a picture of the finished product, it is exactly that...finished! I can safely say that both pedal boxes are 100% COMPLETE! Maybe one more coat of paint on the molding...but...COMPLETE nevertheless.


As Thanksgiving approaches, I have so much to be thankful. One on the list is for all those viewers out in cyberspace that might stumble on to this blog and take a look at what it's all about. Likewise, for those viewers who are regular, or even semi-regular, who check back now and again to see the progress. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I always enjoy watching America's favorite beagle this time of year. Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment