Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Secure Foundation

Let's asses the situation. This weekends goals:

  1. Finish Ruckpositiv (glue skin, touch up paint, etc...)
  2. Cut shelf to size
  3. Cut choir loft molding to size
  4. Experiment and different color stains for choir loft molding and corbels.
  5. Stain shelf
For this week, I certainly got more of the set goals accomplished as compared to last week. All but number 5 has been done plus a little more. Let's take a look...

One thing I've forgotten to mention in the last few blogs concerns the base and the Oberwerk. Initially, I was going to use a latch to secure these two "modules" of Opus 1. However, after some thought, I've decided to glue the Oberwerk to the base/keydesk area. Before this is done, a few things need to be accomplished.

I cut up a piece of 2x4 and placed them in each corner of the base. I also threw in some of the wood left over in there as well, making the base "a secure foundation." When the shelf is made, this base will be screwed into the shelf. The screws will be screwed into these four corner blocks. After this is done, I will then permanently glue the Oberwerk to the base/keydesk module.

The four blocks will be used to mount this base to the shelf.

The finished Ruckpositiv (L), Oberwerk (C) and Hauptwerk (R)


Now that the Ruckpositiv is finished, this means that the organ as a whole is now 100% complete. What remains is all that needs to be done to the shelf and mount all the pieces together. Let's start with the preparations for the shelf.

I went ahead and cut the shelf to size, that being 24 inches long. Next came the preparations to cutting the 1.5 inch deep notch for the Ruckpositiv to fit into. After taking the appropriate measurements, out came the jig saw. With some instruction from my dad and practice on a test piece, the notch was cut out successfully and no blood was shed or finger lost! (I still cannot believe this!)

After some sanding, pilot holes will marked and drilled for the two corbels, the mounting brace for the Ruckpositiv as well as the four holes for the base/keydesk.

Ready...aim...FIRE!

Great Shot!


In the midst of all this, I went ahead and started staining some test pieces. With same strips of pine as the shelf, I stained one of them the pewter color that will be used predominately on the shelf. However, on another strip, I primed it with polycrylic first before using the pewter. As for the molding, I stained one the pewter color and the other "outside white." Next week, I will continue working with various staining methods until I have what I want for the "choir loft." The three solid stain colors I will be utilizing are the two just mentioned, pewter and outside white, along with ivory.




At the end of the day, I went ahead and dry-fitted everything together. I leave you with a montage of photos. Next week will be strictly devoted to figuring out my staining methods for the choir loft and applying those methods to the actual pieces.








Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment