Monday, September 3, 2012

A Labor of Love

Happy Labor Day! This nice three day weekend was filled with labor - a labor that I certainly don't mind. I have accomplished everything that I expected to on this model. I wanted both pedal boxes put together. So, I sanded down all the wood and started doing just that.

Awesome glue! Dry's quick and holds strong!
While the pieces were drying, there were a few other things that needed to be done. That included the assembly of the pipes. I drilled all the holes for the guide and made a gluing fixture to keep the shape of the pipes.


A few other pieces not shown are two frames for the grill to form around. More on that in the coming posts. Either way, I'm very happy with how the project is going and the fruits of my labor.

After I got the hang of gluing one box, I started the other at the same time.




I still need to glue the other set of pipes together. I only made one gluing fixture so I could not do both at the same time. Either way, I am happy and I think this calls from some music. I'll end the day with one of my favorite Bach fugues - Fugue in E minor (Wedge).

 

I enjoy John Scott Whiteley's performance. The video is, well, it seams like the production studio were on acid. However, doing just a little research, there is meaning behind it and it very clever. Taken from Whiteley's webpage,

"In the prelude to the ‘Wedge’ fugue (548) there are various sequences aimed at attempting to parallel the music with views juxtaposing the exquisite Baroque decoration of the organ case with the austere simplicity and strength of the architecture of the church.  The ‘Wedge’ notion invited numerous possibilities, the main idea being the tapered reflections.  Rather than merely showing wedge-shaped designs as the fugue subject was announced, these were intended to have a cumulative effect as the fugue progressed.  The music desk was removed and replaced with a large mirror so that many shots have their inbuilt reflections.  These first appear at end of the exposition, following which all kinds of reflections appear:  split-screens of the organ case, manuals, stops and even hands.  At the da capo the idea is driven out as the manuals appear in moving vertical wedge shapes." (Ref.)


No comments:

Post a Comment