Sunday, September 23, 2012

Colorful Lessons

Where do I start! First, as you saw from my last post, I cut out the top grill work. On Friday, I went ahead and cut to shape the guide rail for each grill to be glued against. I then glued them. It looked great and everything was coming together! Then, Saturday morning, something was very obvious when may dad and I were dry fitting everything together...this new grill assembly does not fit! Needless to say I was not happy but, as with anything, there was a solution. Thankfully, I left a lot of "meat" at the top of the grill. The rail was only 1/2 inch, so i just cut that guide rail off and was left with a little over 1/2 inch of wood remaining at the top of the grill.

After putting in the pedal assembly into the case, we realized that the top grill can be glued onto the rail that the pipes are actually glued into. Since I had to cut 1/2 inch, I was afraid that the top molding will now cover some of the grill design. Luckily, it only covers a small feature at the very top. I'm perfectly fine with that. Problem averted.

The big task for the weekend was painting! All the grills and pipes were sealed, primed, and painted. However, I ran into some issues which quickly became lessons for the remaining project. First, I now know the importance of a lacquer sealer. Even though I did two coats, I should have sanded a bit more between coats. This epiphany didn't happen until after I started spraying the final color.

Primed Pipes
Primed Grills
With the few times I worked with spray paint, I know that it could leave "burs"or a rough surface. That's why i used sealer. However, as I was painting the pipes silver and the grills gold, I realized that i should have used more sealer and it needed to be sanded again. So, I did just that. I sanded the gold grills and silver pipes. Sealed them and yet another problem was averted. By the end of the day, I can say that the grills are done and the pedal pipes could use one or two more coats.

Bottom Grills
Top grills right after their last coat
Pedal pipes shortly after their second coat
A few other activities this past weekend. I wanted to start cutting the top molding for the right pedal case. I cut the bottom molding last week. I ran into a problem that I should have foreseen when I started. The Dremel table saw that I've been using needs a new blade. It has it's age and has been used many times over. The blade, though I've been able to use it here and there, is dull and is burning the wood as I push it through. It would not cut the top molding as the blade would literately stop midway even though the machine is still on. What does this mean? No molding work until I get a new blade. I purchased one online today along with a new belt...that couldn't hurt.

So what else did I do while the table saw is out of commission? Use the band saw, of course! I decided to cut out the organ bench sides. This was trickier than I thought it would be.

Conceptual design for the console bench
Bench Sides
Weather these are the ones I actually use, I'm not sure yet. I don't think they're that bad but you can see how it's not completely symmetric. Still, the bench and key desk areas will be hidden by the Ruckpositiv. Of course that doesn't mean I skimp on the details (remember all those stops I turned down!!)

I end this very extensive update with a small change to the project. Looking at "Opus 1" in SolidWorks, and considering certain aesthetic elements upon its completion, i decided to extend the Oberwerk division out by about 1.5 inches. This now makes the Oberwerk less hidden between these massive pedal cases. This will also allow for less cutting as the walls are 4 inches now. The stock I'll be using is 4 inches!  You will also notice that I will be adding a sort of "paneling"to each side of the pedal cases.

An Updated Opus 1
SO...I hope the table saw blade and belt arrive by Friday as I want to start cutting and glueing some molding! I also need to start finalizing on a color for the case. Remember, the aesthetics of this model is coming from the organ at St. Bavo Church (Haarlem, The Netherlands) which is a sort of "oxblood" red. I bought two samples and I did not like either after I painted each on a test piece. I hope to pick up a few more samples and either test them this week or next weekend. Once I have that color, then we're in business!

Until then, here is Mozart's Fantasy in F played on the organ at St. Bavo church. A 10 year old Mozart actually played this very instrument. It is such a beautiful and ornate organ, true to baroque design. It is no surprise that Mozart declared the pipe organ as the "King of Instruments!" No other musical instrument can compare! Long live the King!


No comments:

Post a Comment