Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Go Big or Go Home! - Or Have I Gone Mad??

I alluded in the previous post about the final aesthetics using the organ at St Bavo as an example. I have been considering this for a while. I have found a few websites that sell hand-carved painted wooden angles. Looking at the current design, if I were to include some, it would look just a bit awkward.

A close friend pointed me in the direction of the Fritts Organ at St. Joseph Cathedral in Columbus, Ohio. I took one look and thought...


...they had to have used the Muller Organ at St. Bavo as inspiration! So. After looking at this one and the Muller again, and again, and again...I decided to make a few changes to my model. One thing I was lacking was that upper division. I've been using the terminology Oberwerk and Ruckpositiv. Now, that's only two divisions on a three manual organ? It's only fitting that I add that top division, which I shall call the Hauptwerk. In reality, the nomenclature should be switched as the Oberwerk should be the Hauptwerk and vice versa. But I digress...

By adding that Hauptwerk, it allows me those "notches" to add angels. So, looking at the few websites that I have found, I chose at least these four angles to be placed in each "notch" between the Oberwerk and Hauptwerk.

LL - LC - RC - RR

I also found two angels which I may or may not use. They could be placed on top of the pedal boxes.

LL - RR
SO...I present the updated Opus 1. The model does not have any top molding displayed. Likewise, all the gold grill work is not in the model. You'll just have to see that as the project progresses.


Last, to give you an overall idea for the placement of the angels, here's a cheap Photoshop rendition:


As always, I really have my work cut out for me. The overall dimensions have changed to around 22.25 x 28.00 x 11.00. Thankfully, the pedal boxes are nearing the finish line and I am very pleased with how they are coming together. I bought another two potential colors for the case. I'm praying that one will be the right fit! The new saw blade and belt for the Dremel table saw will arrive on Friday according to the USPS. I hope, by Sunday night's post, all the molding will be cut and at least one box's molding will be glued on and the paneling glued as well. We'll just see. until then, here's progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment