Sunday, September 16, 2012

We Have Molding!

Today I worked on the bottom molding for one of the pedal divisions. I knew the angles were going to give me a bit of a headache, but I managed to figure it out. I know I will still have some more adjusting as I glue them to the box.

They couldn't stand up, so I laid them on their side to give a general idea on how it would look.
This took a few tries and I only have so much of this molding. I should have enough for these pedal boxes. However, I will need to buy more one I start the other divisions of this organ. I forgot to take a picture of the top molding, which is a bit bigger and a small design etched into it. I'll continue this molding next weekend.

I also went ahead and sanded and glued the bottom grills. One of them produced a small crack which needs to be fixed before priming. However, I'm happy with the end result. I was worried that the entire piece of wood was going to snap. However, it's being wrapped around a guide that is 4in in diameter. Thankfully that's wide enough for it not to crack, despite the small chip I did get.



One last feature I completed before calling it a day was the top covers. As you see in the other pictures from previous posts, when you look at either the top or bottom, you see the two wall boards and the back board all glued to the top piece.I wanted to give the designated top a unified look before the top molding is glued on. So, I traced the top onto a sheet of the very thin birch pine that I use for the grill. It certainly gives it a nice look!

The tape helps hold the piece firmly to the box while gluing.
Finished product!
If I'm up to it during the week, I will start to cut out the top grill design. Movin' right along!

No comments:

Post a Comment